or 'things to eat that don't have dead stuff in them'

Sunday 5 April 2009

Basic Vege Pasta Formula 1

I'm often disappointed by vegetarian cookbooks and restaurants when they are packed with dishes I could've come up with myself, dishes that involve really obvious combinations of flavours (you mean spinach and feta go well together??? No! what a surprise!)

A recently purchased exception to this is 'enjoy' by Nadine Abensur - just reading it makes my mouth water and nearly every recipe is something new to me in flavour, form, process or presentation (Saturday night's attempt - Roast Beetroot & Fennel with dukkah, croutons and griddled haloumi was a bit oily but I think I can improve it on second try).

But I forget in my whingeing that not everyone grew up vegetarian and not everyone was throwing dinner parties at age 12. So here's one of my basic pasta formulae. It's not really original - it incorporates recipes read, experiments done and the Viv Butter Secret* (and it always changes according to what is in the fridge). But it's good and a great place to start for beginners wanting to add more veges to their diet. It's also great if you have small amounts of a variety of vegetables in the fridge.

* the Viv Butter Secret: for months I tried to recreate my friend Viv's version of this pasta, but mine never really lived up to hers and her kitchen was too small for me to sneakily watch over her shoulder while she made it for me. Finally I squashed my pride and asked her secret. Butter, she said. A shitload of butter. Now some people may not like the pasta so rich but if you are indulging, then fry the vegetables in a big knob of butter rather than a little bit of olive oil, which I use normally.


BASIC PASTA FORMULA
to make vegan, omit cheese or use soy cheese - it'll still be great!

Ingredients:


1. pasta (any kind you like)
2. Garlic
3. Onion (optional)
4. Vegetables, which hold their colour and shape well. I recommend: broccoli, asparagus, green beans, peas, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, roasted pumpkin or sweet potato, baby spinach, rocket, sweet corn...the list goes on...
5. Cheese. I recommend: Danish feta (it melts better than greek or australian) / goats cheese, blue cheese (gorgonzola, stilton, roquefort etc) or mozarella and parmesan (grated parmesan or romano should always be included, as well as one of the above if you like)
6. Herbs. Parsley, chives, oregano and rosemary work well. If using feta cheese, I really recommend, thyme and mint (and add some lemon juice!!! and even a little chilli!)
7. Salt & Pepper

Process:
1. Fry 1-2 cloves garlic, a little diced onion and chopped mushrooms (if using) in olive oil (or butter! see above) in a deep pan on a low heat
2. Chuck in whatever vegetables you are using, chopped into bite size pieces.
3. Stir fry fro about 10 minutes - the vegetables must not be overcooked and should still have a little crunch. Don't be afraid to taste test to check this!
4. Turn off the heat and then sprinkle /crumble your cheese (grate if it is in a block) over the vegetables. Don't stir through yet, just let the cheese sit melting on top of the hot vegetables.
5. Boil water for pasta and cook according to packet instructions. I test pasta along to way to check for when it is cooked, as instructions aren't always right. You want it al dente (which means NOT overcooked)
6. Turn heat back on vegetables. If they have run out of liquid add butter, oil or a little pasta water to help the cheese melt to a sauce.
7. Add chopped herbs.
8. Drain pasta and add to veges/cheese stirring til combined.
9. Eat with freshly grated parmesan.

Most of all, experiment. Try different herbs. Try lemon juice. A splash of balsamic vinegar or white balsamic vinegar. Chilli. Sour cream. Whatever else you think of!

No comments:

Post a Comment